Tuesday 31 May 2011

Collectormania 17 - MK Dons 28th to 30th May 2011



This event was the 99th's annual trip to the MK Don's stadium in Milton Keynes with our good friends at the MK Garrison.  As usual me and Jim stayed at Shaun's B&B in Milton Keynes and were also joined by Craig, Simo, Ian and Marie.  

The trip started at about 10:00am on Saturday morning when we had finished loading my car and were able to set off.  Packing the car had been an effort in itself as there were two of us with three costumes each and one with two costumes plus all over night gear as well. Despite our best efforts, we had to leave one costume  and I decided to leave my Biker Scout armour behind and only take my officer/Juno Eclipse uniform and Memah.  

The journey down to MK took longer than the 2 and a half hours it should have taken as there had been a coach on fire on the M1 and there were serious delays.  In the end the journey took about 4 hours!

On arrival we unloaded the car at Shaun's and then me and Craig put on our uniforms and Jim stayed as Crew before driving the short distance to MK Dons from Shaun's.

For those of you who do not know the MK Dons stadium it is is the coldest place on earth... it is always warmer outside of the building.  The event takes place on the concourse of the stadium which although covered, is open to the elements and to what seems to be a never ending breeze.... a breeze that just seems to cut through you to the bone!

Anyway, we stayed at the event on Saturday afternoon with the MK Garrison until about 5:00pm before returning to Shaun's to get changed and warm before heading off to the home of the Commanding Officer of the MK Garrison [Mick] for a barbecue and for the European Cup Final [yawn!]  The football was on but only in the background and a good time was had by all including a "Happy Birthday" moment for 99th's first birthday and a lovely if not a little slurred speech off Craig.  Mick also did his usual up most to get us all drunk!  I managed to resist his efforts but unfortunately, Marie didn't and on Sunday morning she was not able to join us for the second day of the event until lunchtime. ......  poor Marie!  Never again!!!

Sunday was equally as cold at the MK Dons but I decided that I would still do Memah.  I had invested in a compressor pump and airbrush for my blue face and me and Jim spray painted my face blue before we left the B&B.  Once at the venue, I applied the make up and outfit but was a little unhappy with the way that the spray paint looked... it was quite dry and rubbed off quite easily..... but its all trial and error!

I was joined by two other Twi'leks at the event.... Lorraine who did Aayla Secura and CJ who did Ahsoka Tano.  It was fair to say that we all quite cold and I for one wished that I had my armor on!


Sunday was quite a busy day with lots of punters there but regular breaks were required because of 1) the cold and 2) a break from the tight fitting head dress of Memah [the Lekku] but I had lots of compliments paid to be by other costumers and the public about my costume.
We stayed at the event until about 5:00ish and then it was back to Shaun's to get warm again and try and make myself completely unblue!  Me, Jim , Craig, Simon, Marie, and Ian then went off to a Spanish Tapas bar in MK's Theatre District for tea.  Kindly dropped off there and picked up again by Shaun in his speedy Micra.

Monday was officially the 99th's First birthday and we had a table for the day but unfortunately, Monday's weather was worse than Saturday and Sunday had been.  Not only was it cold but it rained all day. As a result, the event was very, very quiet and at times, when the direction of the wind changed, we got wet on the concourse as well.  Fortunately, I hadn't gone to the effort of doing Memah on this day and wore my officer uniform.
We cut the 99th's birthday cake,  but we'd had enough and were cold and damp by 2:30 so decided to pack up and head back to Shaun's for a cuppa before heading off back home. Feeling in need of some comfort food [in my case pie and chips] we stopped off in Towcester for a bite to eat in a pub where the landlord turned out to be a huge Star Wars fan!  Finally arriving home at about 8:00pm and collapsing in an exhausted heap!

A huge thanks to Ian, Marie, Simo, Craig and Jim from the 99th and all in the MKG, too numerous to mention but especially Mick and Julia.


Here's to the next Collectormania in MK which thankfully will be back where it should be..... in the nice, warm and dry MK Shopping centre... Hooray!!!!   Did I say it was bloody cold!!!